Ask The Internet: Plumbing?

I bought the BRITA OF GOD off e-bay. It’s a whole house charcoal carbon filter. The water here is good, but it’s not fantastic. It also varies wildly depending on what wells are working for the water company. This is what I get for moving to the burbs.

The house has a place where you can install a whole house filter. The mains come in, theres two valves (one from the house, one from the feed) and a bypass valve. The bypass valve is broken and I haven’t had the occasion to fix it since copper flexipipe does what I need it to do in place of the filter.

But now I have a filter.

The problem is the feed from the company is 5/8ths, which gets turned up to 3/4ths at the valves, which needs to become 1 inch at the filter.

Simple enough job – get a 3/4ths to 1 inch bushing, right?

Not really – all plumbing problems become male-female problems and this is no exception. The charcoal filter only has female ports. The valves, as you can guess are male, but the flexipipe which I need to mount the filter to the wall because of how the pipes stand off – they’re all female ends too. So a 1 inch to 3/4ths bushing needs a double threaded nipple.

To add insult to injury, the only 1inch fitting they had at Home Depot was steel. The only double-sided nipple choices were copper or plastic. Ion exchange hell.

I wrapped the entire thing in teflon tape, assembled it, ended up buying yet another flexipipe at $14 per because the original bypass pipe broke when I tried to rebend it and got the filter housing on the wall. I turned on the water and… pinhole leaks all over.

Now, the filter housing is plastic. Which goes to steel. This steel goes to a copper nipple which connects to copper flexipipe. I’m using standard teflon tape. Solder is out of the question because of the plastic – at least as far as the filter is concerned. But, I end up with pinhole leaks everywhere. The first and obvious solution is to buy rubber washers to put between the steel and the plastic of the filter, but what about the pinholes from the copper to steel connections?

Anyone have any input?